The Thyestes Chase at Gowran Park
Goffs Thyestes Chase Day at Gowran Park is a huge tradition for race fans across Ireland. Taking place on a Thursday in late January just adds to aura as people take a day off work and children get time off school, indeed for years many local schools close as they know attendance will be so limited anyway!
A few points of note:
- First run in 1954
- Race Distance is 3 mile 1 furlong (5,029 metres).
- Maximum field is 18 runners.
- Winning most trainer is Willie Mullins with 7 – his first was Micko’s Dream in 2000
- Prize Fund is €100,000
- Race has been sponsored by Goffs for 9 years
- Competitors face 17 fences.
- Takes place on a Thursday in late January.
- TW Dreaper won the race as a trainer three years in a row 1964-1966 with Arkle